Monday, September 24, 2012

Hypocrites?

So if you've been paying attention, you know I grew up in a "Christian" home.  You also know how well that worked out.  If you're new here, long story short....we basically ate, slept & breathed church until my parents got divorced and then we were shunned by all the judgmental, hypocritical Christians.  I'm not bitter, really I'm not.

Apparently the whole Sunday school lesson about not being a hypocrite didn't make as big of an impression on most everyone else.  Please allow me to remind you of the definition:


Definition of HYPOCRITE

1: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2: a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings 
I'm grateful for the time that my family spent going to church.  I really do think that, despite my experience, it taught me to be a better person.  I believe in God and I don't believe I have to go to church 3 days a week to get into heaven.  I may cuss like a sailor, over indulge in drink from time to time and pass a little judgment here and there....but what I don't do is preach to everyone about my beliefs.  I don't quote scripture on my Facebook status.  My about me section isn't filled with how much I love Jesus or how thankful I am for God's love.  I am a Christian and I pray and I try my best to make good choices.  I do feel like I've failed my kids by letting my experience hinder me in helping them build a relationship with Christ.

I should probably back up and explain what got me fired up about this in the first place.  You know that nifty little section on your Facebook page titled "People You Might Know"?  Well last week a certain person popped up.  Someone that I try not to let affect me.  Someone that has contributed to the hurt & disappointment that my kids have felt.  So of course my curiosity got the best of me.  I'm nosy by nature...sue me.   Of course I snooped around and when I read their "About Me" section....I wanted to throw up, scream & punch someone in the face.  Does broadcasting how much you love God help  you sleep at night, after you've had the words of the devil projectile out of your mouth and onto my children?  

I've always tried to be the most genuine person I can possibly be.  I'm constantly coaching myself to take the high road.  I know that part of being a Christian is being able to forgive someone even if they're not sorry and not letting them affect your life.  It's REALLY hard with this one.  Not only has this person inflicted their venom on my children, but they're continued lack of gainful employment affects our lively hood.  I don't name names and I try hard to keep this category of my life out of this blog.  But DAMMIT...I'm tired of being the better person.  I'm tired of being the one that gets up and goes to work every day so my kids don't grow up on welfare and can have the things that they deserve.  It kills me knowing that this person blows money they didn't earn on extras that I do without.

Of course the right thing for me to do is pray for them.  I'm sorry my prayer list is full of prayers for children dying of cancer, children being kidnapped and forced into a life of sex trafficking and for my own kids to grow up to be NOTHING like the people that have hurt them most.  Now that I've gotten that off my chest....deep breath.

I think I must really need a weekend with my friends to lighten me up.  These non-funny posts are getting old.  You know the drill.  Facebook, Twitter and the banner below are begging to be clicked on....just do it!!!  Happy Monday!!!


Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya girl loud and clear. I have some of the same type of people in my life. My best strategy is to ignore. I'm the queen of using the defriend button on Facebook and I have even blocked people. When I read those hypocritical things my mind goes to dark places. It is best for me just to not read them at all. And you ARE the better person because you are living an authentic life!!!!! Stay true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OKAY I LOVE this post! The comment about church/car AMAZING and exactly how I feel. My mother always said: Just because you go to church doesn't make you good and just because you don't go to church doesn't make you bad!

    HYPROCITES I have found the MOST when they are HEAVILY involved in church(where their entire life surrounds church activities)!

    Thank you for a great post!

    Sharee'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, sister! I sleep soundly at night knowing how I feel in my heart about God, I feel no need to post it constantly on my FB wall or wear it on my sleeve. Not necessary.

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, some of the "best" Christians are the ones who believe and live in the life Christ wanted up to, not just the ones that devote all of their time preaching about how to be a "good" Christian.

    www.dawnsdisaster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete