If you're new here, you can read a few other posts regarding my battles with SLou here, here and here. As most of you know, I'm a single mom. Both of my girls have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. They were tested through the school system, since my insurance doesn't cover the testing. Well my pediatrician has never been fully on board with SLou's diagnosis. She's been encouraging me to get her retested since day 1. She's not always satisfied that the school system does a thorough enough evaluation.
Originally we were the poster family for Vyvanse. Both girls, my sister and myself are all on this medication. It's still working wonderfully for everyone but SLou. Her main side effect has been emotional melt downs when she's coming down off the meds in the evenings. Finally last Winter, I'd had enough. Her doctor and I decided to try a new medicine. We tried Intuniv and Concerta. Both were a disaster. Both were non-stimulant and it turns out SLou absolutely needs a stimulant based med. I gave each medication the good college try for a month each. By Spring the damage was already done, but after SLou begging to go back on Vyvanse, I finally agreed.
Unfortunately while we were messing with her meds last Spring, SLou bombed the CRCT's. She has ALWAYS exceeded expectations on her standardized testing. As I've told you before, this truly kicked her in the teeth. Her self-confidence still hasn't recovered from that blow. Anyway, the emotional side effects are starting to take their toll again. I'm certain we need a new medicine or a whole new treatment plan, but I'm terrified of the potential downfall of messing with her meds during the school year.
We had her annual check-up yesterday. Before changing her meds, her doctor wants us to try a couple of things at home first for a couple of weeks. Starting with me being forbade from helping her with homework. She has gotten into a habit of just waiting for me to get home to help her, rather than getting what she can done without me and me just helping her with what she had problems with. I'm no longer allowed to be her crutch. Second, she wants us to move bedtime up an hour....she wants SLou in bed by 8pm, even on weekends. We'll see about the weekends part. She'll be going to her dad's this weekend and he NEVER complies to any of my requests.
We've also got the ball in motion for the retesting. We have our first appointment at The Amen Clinic next Thursday (10/18). They will use a much more in depth method of testing that includes brain scans and hours of evaluation. On our 4th visit, we will sit down with their pediatric psychologist and he will present his diagnosis and his suggested treatment plan. I'm very optimistic that we are headed in the right direction, towards helping SLou succeed in every aspect of her life. So, on Friday October 26th....we'll hopefully know EXACTLY what's going on with my sweet SLou. I'll keep you all posted along the way.
Please follow me here on GFC, on Facebook and on Twitter. Please click on the banner below. My overall ranking is slipping at topmommyblogs.com. I'm not ready to give up on my quest to rule the world of blogging yet....click click click!!!!