Families would be so much less dysfunctional if everyone could just be honest and say how they really feel and be heard without defenses going up and blame being thrown around like a hot potato. Hearing the truth sometimes hurts, but if your family can't tell you the truth; who can? Part of growing up is admitting when you're wrong, learning how to compromise and sometimes just agree to disagree. If you're one of those people who thinks they're never wrong, you must live in a very lonely world.
I've been dealing with some family drama for going on 6 weeks. I've tried to stay out of it, but still let my feelings about it be known. For years, I felt like I was the only person that would stand up to this particular family member and now that someone else has, I'm backing them up from a distance....if that makes sense. But now I feel like "no good deed goes unpunished".
So here are some random things that I'd really like to say to random family members....
1. No matter how old we are, our parents are still our parents and deserve to be respected and appreciated.
2. I'm a mom too...and really Mother's Day is just another day to me.
3. Your birthday is not a national holiday.
4. Don't talk on your phone at the dinner table. Excuse yourself or offer to return the call later.
5. Just because someone offers, doesn't mean you should necessarily accept.
6. Usually, if you ignore something it usually doesn't go away....it just gets bigger and bigger.
7. NOBODY is perfect!!
8. Jealousy only makes bad situations worse.
9. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to, because they're the right thing to do.
This post is probably gonna hurt some feelings, but it was the only way I felt I could vent the things that were stewing inside me. I love my family...my parents, my siblings, my kids and my extended family. Most everything above has been said to the face of the person it's intended, but not necessarily heard or accepted. Don't take your family for granted. You never know what tomorrow holds.
Whew...now that I got all of that off my chest, I feel soooooo much better.